Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Might as well stop fighting it

I used to believe that acceptance was a bad thing. Digging in my heels seemed the only way in my logical mind to force change. Over time, however, I have learned that this is illusory. Acceptance is a fairly misunderstood concept because it can imply weakness and who wants to be weak? The real truth is that acceptance is often the first step to understanding and with that, comes perspective. Acceptance requires one to put aside ego in order to see the truth. Being truculent and resistant has never resulted in true happiness or effective change for me. It makes me frustrated and angry, both signs of an overactive ego.
   I have a different experience with acceptance. In the simple act of accepting, all worry and anxiety--my two biggest foes--are put at bay. Then I can clearly see the situation for what it is thanks to this new perspective. And that often time leads to a place of understanding. The pond stills and solutions or courses of action float to the surface and emerge. I can see the larger picture.
   Acceptance is not a bad thing. It's the only way to clarity.

1 comment: