Friday, February 11, 2011

Weighing in on Bieber Fever

I have to get this off my chest. It's not that I am intolerant of teen heart throbs. While I was not a Davey Jones' fan back in the 1960s, I did have a crush on bandmate  and vocalist Micky Dolenz. But that's for another time.
   I initially learned of Justin Bieber from my husband's then 8-year old granddaughter. We went to visit over the holidays two years ago, and she was watching the high-pitched warbler on youtube. A pretty young thing with talent, I thought, with a whole lot of contrived thrown in. Little did I know, this cute kid would turn out to be a multimillion dollar property by the time he turned 16.
   Last I checked in with my husband's granddaughter, now at the wizened age of 10, she had dumped her crush on the kid. Apparently, her mother was none to found of his less-than-pure actions when it came to girls.
   Now that he has made a movie and put his entire life out there for the public to see, I have to weigh in. Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem with a teenager claiming to have a life story? I have things in my fridge that are older than him.
   As for never say never, I am curious if he will be embracing that motto after the entertainment world turns its back on him as he slides out of puberty to not so cute adulthood. Will he be so convicted in his beliefs when life kicks the snot out of him? Working hard at making your dream come true has credibility when the person claiming it has some wrinkles. Let's face it. The music business is a fickle and not-so-kind mistress. I caution young Justin, if you think you won't find yourself disheartened and out of work, well, never say never.

No comments:

Post a Comment