Saturday, February 19, 2011

That toddling town

I read the lyrics of the Tony Bennett song before I wrote this, and I have to say, they're not the most inspired bit of writing I have read. But the tune is catchy.
   If you haven't been to Chicago, make it a point to go. I love that city. We didn't get a bad meal or meet an angry person the entire time we were there. A good friend of my family is originally from Chicago. Her family owned one of the city's largest department stores back in the 1940s. She was fond of referring to the Midwest as the place where civilized folk live. And I finally understand what she meant. My dad, being originally from Nebraska, had the same, respectful and kind demeanor as she did. And while my east coast cynicism used to be tweaked by it, I have to say I really miss it now that he is gone.
   It is heartwarming and refreshing to be steeped in a place where people meet your gaze when they walk by you on the street, wish you a good morning on the elevator and tell you to have a nice day just for spending time with them on a street corner. The last restaurant we ate at punctuated the experience for us. Every single server, including the manager and the bartender called out as we left, or passed by them, "Thanks so much for coming." I felt very welcomed.
   Makes me optimistic about civilization after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment