Monday, January 31, 2011

Control or guidance?

What parent hasn't been accused by a teenager of having control issues? It has always struck me as a laughable accusation, with no underpinning in the truth. Control? Or guidance?
  I always think of myself as being objective enough with my child to give him solid advice and caution, based on a variety of factors, one of which is, of course, my opinion.
  But sometimes, he is right. Sometimes it is about control. Oh, of course not overtly. It's a subtle, even subconscious thing but one that I try to be vigilant over. The way I determine whether or not my motives are based in control is simple. Am I giving him advice, direction and parameters because I mainly just want him to do what I want him to do? Or do I truly have his happiness, growth and independence at heart?
  When I talk to my son, I try to come from a place of honesty and sharing, not of manipulation, though I have to admit that I am guilty of that in the past. Worry and fear can make me want to control behavior that I know has the inherent potential for disastrous outcomes. Worry can also make for draconian, knee-jerk ultimatums that can afford some control in the short term but in the long run, has no staying power. And I am left to ask, what life lessons have I taught? In the long run, it's best the help my child develop the ability to make great life choices.
   It all comes down to whether or not I are willing to risk something of myself when communicating with my son, which means being real, honest, vulnerable and true. For when I simply don the parent mask all the time, I run the risk of being disingenuous, preachy, duplicitous and often times, unheard.
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment