Friday, April 29, 2011

You are what you wear

If clothes make the man, then hats must make the woman. I love hats, but it's on the rare occasion that I scare up enough gumption to wear one. Watching the nuptials of William and Kate underscored my love of hats.
   While it is a uniquely human trait to be able to accessorize, animals have always innately understood the importance of preening, lest we forget the male peacock. I admit that when I am gussied up in my Sunday clothes, it makes me feel differently about myself. Even if the outfit is arguably not comfortable, it changes the way I view myself.  
   Hats have a more immediate impact on my self confidence. But getting there can be a tug of war with myself. The judgmental part of me argues that I do not have the right to wear a hat. "Who do you think you are calling attention to yourself like that?" This often silences my urge sufficiently. But once in a while, the bolder side emerges and takes things in hand. "Why not wear that hat, Missy?"
   Ultimately, my hope is that as I age and get a bit dodgy (as the Brits would say) I hope that my hidden side wins out and I become a veritable Bella Abzug.
   To read more on my Erie Times-News blog, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment