Saturday, April 30, 2011

God save the Queen

And the queen would be me. Yes, I do believe things have to change around this kingdom, especially in light of the recent strain of Anglophilia that is seems to be catching. Not one to be all the caught up in such things as castles and royalty--as I do believe the resources tied up in that fantasy, both financial and otherwise, would be better utilized to help with modern day catastrophes and global concerns--I do admit that there is something quite attractive about being queen.
   While I won't insist that anyone here in my tiny fiefdom (read: my husband) refer to me as "Your Royal Majesty" or even "Ma'am," after first reference, I have cottoned to the idea that I should not be spoken to until I initiate the conversation. This would completely eliminate a lot of useless prattle and if I had known about this years ago, it would have been very helpful in child rearing. Something oddly Puritanical about the whole notion.
   I also fancy the curtsy. Nothing elaborate, mind you. Simple, short and sweet, but please don't look me in the eyes. That would just belie your commoner roots. This I would like to make a practice for my guests and friends, every time I enter the room. Or nod, cough, gesture or laugh, for that matter. Curtsy on demand, so to speak. Good exercise for them as well.
   Finally, the subtleties of switching my purse from one wrist to the other to indicate the party's over is another regal practice I would like to employ, with modern day revisions of course. Now I don't own a purse that sits comfortably on my wrist without risking strain, so I would use my shoulder bag. Subjects would have to keep an eye out for this, so they would know when to vamoose. It would be a very tactful way to get them on their way so I could catch up on my essential beauty rest.
   Yes, there is something quite attractive about being queen, even if it is only for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment