Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Aha moment

It was 1989 and I got this idea stuck in my head that we should throw our parents an anniversary party. A big surprise bash. My mother loved parties and had more than hinted that with her 40th anniversary coming it, it would be the perfect opportunity to surprise them. The problem was that was 2 years away. But something told me to go for it.
   We put on the dog as she would have said. Created a complex strategy to surprise them and succeeded in throwing a wonderful party for her friends and family. Several  months later, she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer. We had no idea when we planned the party that she was ill. She died several weeks after her 39th wedding anniversary. She was 63. She never made it to her 40th.
    That was when it really hit home. I had trusted my instincts and my intuition. Since then, that has been my rule of thumb: Go with your gut. Even if it doesn't make sense. And many times, that means there is no time like the present. Interestingly enough, the theme of my parent's anniversary party was "The Best of Times of is Now."
   Check out the video.

1 comment: