Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A farming we will go

What's all this with the farm tour you've been doing on your other blog, you might be asking? Yes, I have been taking time to visit the small, independent farms in this part of the state. Why? Because I care about our food sources and believe in supporting those who provide for us locally.
   Let me answer your question with a question. Who doesn't love to go to a farmer's market or visit a country store stocked with all kinds of fresh foods and organic goodies?
   There is just something very wholesome about farms, even though the scents and sites can take some getting used to. I feel healthier when I am there. And interviewing the farmers is truly a breath of fresh air. You talk about getting back to basics. This is about as basic as life gets. Producing the food we eat. Who was it that said, control the food supply and you control the people.
   I turned my back on processed food decades ago. And that was without fully understanding just how damaging and potentially disease causing additives and chemicals are to our bodies--physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Reading about the players in agribusiness (like Monsanto) and their aggressive movement toward creating genetically modified food. The debate directly concerns you, though you may find that ignorance is bliss, which of course, it's not. Especially when you realize that much of what you are eating is making you sick.
   Health concerns and risking the control of the world's food supply by several, profit-driven corporations aside, there is another casualty in the way the industry of agriculture is going--the small farmers. And there are a lot of them in Pennsylvania, thank goodness. My attempt to visit as many as I can is my small effort to increase awareness and hopefully create a new habit for all of us, namely, the routine of spending our hard earned dollars on food that is grown in this region and therefore help those people who continue to do the back-breaking work that you and I personally do not want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment